Pecorino RomanoFrom €5,75 per 200 gram
After ripening, most of the moisture has disappeared from the cheese, making it perfect for grating. The sheep’s milk gives the cheese a spicy taste, delicious with a glass of wine.
Buying Pecorino Romano is the cheapest at the Dutch cheese house. This is because we buy this cheese in large quantities in Italy. We do this at our regular supplier, who still makes the cheese according to the centuries-old recipe. A cheese with an intense taste and a creamy aroma. Delicious in cubes or for grating.
This cheese has been awarded the PDO quality mark (“protected destination of origin”), which can only be obtained if the cheese is made in a specific region. This label was created in 1992 to ensure that only products from a certain region can assign themselves this name.
In our knowledge base we have written an extensive article about everything there is to know about Pecorino cheeses
The Romans swore by Pecorino Romano
The name “Romano” is striking, because it makes you think that the cheese comes from Rome. Nothing could be further from the truth. The cheese was already very popular among the Romans 2000 years ago and they imported it quite a lot! They had to wait a while, because a Pecorino cheese is matured in nature for 14 months!
What other varieties of Pecorino cheeses are there?
The “Romano” is just one of the many varieties available of the Pecorino cheese. In addition to the Pecorino Bolato, there is also a Pecorino Sardo, Pecorino Lucano, Pecorino Crotonese and Casu Marzu. The latter is banned in the European Union.
Delicious pasta with Pecorino Romano
This cheese is not only perfect with a glass of wine, some bread, balsamic glaze or a piece of pear or fig , but is the foundation of an authentic Italian dish. A Spaghetti cacio e pepe is prepared with spaghetti, Pecorino Romano cheese, pepper and olive oil. The Allerhande recipe for this delicious pasta is as follows:
- Boil 300 grams of spaghetti al dente.
- Grate the hard Pecorino Romano cheese into a bowl.
- Add freshly ground black pepper.
- Add 5 tablespoons of spaghetti cooking liquid to the container with the hard cheese.
- Stir this mixture until you have a thick cream.
- Drain the spaghetti, reserving one cup of the cooking water.
- Heat a frying pan with some olive oil.
- Add the spaghetti and thick cream to the skillet.
- Stir the spaghetti in the skillet until everything is covered with a layer of cheese.
- Add the reserved cup of cooking liquid to the pan if necessary.
- tada! You now have a delicious pasta for 4 people.
Do you want to know everything about the Pecorino cheeses?
|Land van herkomst|
pastturized, sheep's milk
Yes< 0.1gr per 100gr
|Vegetarisch of vegan|
200 grams, 250 grams, 500 grams, 1kg, 16kg (Half cheese), 32kg (Whole cheese)